The PBE has been updated! Today's update includes a gameplay update for Ryze plus new ability visual & sound effects and ability icons, as well the Dragon Fist Lee Sin: Duel Chromas up for testing, and a few other tentative balance changes!
Continue reading for more information!
(Warning: PBE Content is tentative and iterative - what you see may not reflect what eventually gets pushed to live servers! Manage your expectations accordingly. )
Table of Contents
Ryze's recently announced champion update is now on the PBE for testing! The update includes gameplay changes for Ryze, as well as new ability icons and spell vfx & sfx!
Here's Riot Repertoir with a discussion thread and change list for the Ryze gameplay updates:
Now that Ryze is ready to go on PBE, I'll be here to talk openly with you about his changes as he approaches release to Live servers.
This update definitely isn't a complete character overhaul, so a lot of what you know and love about Ryze is still there. Arcane Mastery (P) still reduces cooldowns, Overload (Q) is a spammy nuke, Rune Prison (W) is a targeted root, Spell Flux (E) is a bouncy spell, and Desperate Power (R) is mostly unchanged. While this stuff is all true, most of the abilities have been changed in one way or another to help create a package with more engaging gameplay for both Ryze and opponents. I'll save most of my talking for responding to your feedback, so I'll give a quick description of the abilities and let you guys drive questions from there.
- Passive (Arcane Mastery)
- Casting a spell grants a stack of Arcane Mastery for a long duration.
- At 5 stacks, Ryze gets a Mana shield and goes into hyper cooldown mode where spellcasts reduce cooldowns by the cooldown of Overload (Q).
- Ryze's abilities still scale with his maximum Mana.
- Note: by turning Ryze's passive into a model that has uptime and downtime, we can let Ryze be really strong within that window, and allow opponents a clear opportunity to fight against him outside of it, or cc him during it.
- Q (Overload)
- Short cooldown skillshot line nuke that deals damage to the first target it hits.
- Note: by turning Overload into a skillshot, Ryze can operate at an increased combat range, and opponents have more opportunities to minimize the damage they take from Ryze.
- W (Rune Prison)
- Targeted, zero travel time root + nuke
- Note: this spell is mostly unchanged, and although it's a low counterplay ability, it emphasizes one of Ryze's strengths at reliably shutting down mobility, so we've kept it.
- E (Spell Flux)
- Targeted nuke and Magic Resist shred that bounces from the primary target to nearby enemies
- After hitting the secondary targets, they bounce back to the original target.
- Note: we really wanted to reduce some of the random nature of Spell Flux, giving it clear uses cases (especially in lane) that aren't just throwing it at a target and hoping it bounces to the right guys.
- R (Desperate Power)
That's the basics. I'm looking forward to watching him on PBE over the next couple weeks, and I'll do my best to keep up with any questions/concerns/feedback you guys have during this time.
- Steroid that grants Movement Speed, Spell Vamp, and area damage on spells for the duration
- Additionally passively grants 10/20/30% Cooldown Reduction with rank in the spell
Here's a rundown of the changes and new abilities:
- Base Mana Regen Per Second decreased to 1.0 from 1.2
- Base HP reduced to 506 from 558.48
- Mana Regen Per Second Growth increased 0.2 from 0.16
- Armor Growth reduced to 3.0 from 3.9
- HP Growth reduced to 75 from 86
[New auto attack vfx]
Arcane Mastery (New Passive):
Casting spells grants a stack of Arcane Mastery for 12 seconds.
At 5 stacks, Ryze becomes supercharged for [3 and going up to 4/5/6 based on ult rank] gaining a shield that blocks [25 + ~5 per level] (+8% of his maximum Mana) damage and causing his spellcasts to reduce the cooldown of his other spells by Overload's cooldown (4 seconds base, IS decreased by CDR), to a minimum of 0.25 seconds.
Ryze's abilities gain additional strength based on his maximum Mana."
Fires an orb, dealing 55/80/105/130/155 (+.55 AP )(2/2.5/3/3.5/4% maximum mana) magic damage to the first target hit.
Mana Cost: 30/35/40/45/50
Cooldown; 4 seconds at all ranks
Ryze instantly roots a target for 1.1/1.2/1.3/1.4/1.5 second(s) dealing 65/95/125/155/185 damage (+ .40 AP)( 2.5% max mana) magic damage
Mana Cost: 60/70/80/90/100
Cooldown: 17.5 seconds at all ranks
Spell Flux (E) :
Unleashes an orb that deals 50/68/86/94/112 (+ .3 AP )( 2% max mana) magic damage and reduces the Magic Resist of its target by 8/9/10/11/12% for 5 seconds,stacking up to 3 times.
After hitting, Spell Flux bounces to up to 4 nearby enemies and Ryze before returning to the original target. Instances of damage on the primary target after the first deal 25/34/43/47/56 (+ ,15 AP)( 1% max mana) damage.
Mana Cost: 60/70/80/90/100
Cooldown: 7 secondsAlternative description from the Champion Update post:
"Ryze targets an enemy unit, blasting them with a slow-moving ball of energy that, after striking the target, splits to damage all nearby enemies before returning to Ryze’s original target, dealing increasing damage based on the number of bolts."
Desperate Power (R)
Passive: Ryze gains 10/20/30% Cooldown Reduction
Active: Ryze gains 80 movement speed and 15/20/25% Spell Vamp for 4/5/6 seconds. During this time, Ryze's spells deal 50% additional damage to enemies near his targets
4/7 PBE update, the three color variations for Dragon Fist Lee Sin "Duel Chroma" are now up in the PBE shop for testing.
Dragon Fist Lee Sin: Duel Chroma
Check out our earlier PBE coverage for a better look at the new Chroma feature and a preview of the Lucian: Prime chroma.
champion update this cycle, Ryze has received new ability icons!
The Black Cleaver
- Movement Speed bonus on champion assists and kills or kills on any unit duration decreased to 2 from 4
- [Reminder: The Black Cleaver has been reworked heavily on the PBE this cycle.]
- Outer Turrets damage increased to 185 from 160
- Inhibitor Turrets damage increased to 195 from 160
- Nexus Turrets damage increased to 175 from 130
Check out THIS PAGE for a comprehensive list of the new content in this PBE cycle or catch up with the individual update links below !