Here's RiotScruffy with the scoop on Skarner's upcoming changes:
"Hey all, exciting news! Skarner is coming to the pbe in the next update with his new reworked kit. Here is the changelist and some explanation for why we ended up with these changes:
Base Attack speed lowered by 1%
- Mana cost reduced from 20/22/24/26/28 to 16/18/20/22/24
- When target is hit, applies an attack speed buff for 6s that stacks up to 3 times 4/5/6/7/8
- Slow removed from Crystal Slash (moved to Fracture)
- Attack speed component removed
- Cooldown lowered from 18s to 14s
- Max movepseed increased from 15/17/19/21/23 to 24/28/32/36/40 and ramps up over 3s
- Duration remains at 6s
- Shield value increased from 70/115/160/205/250 to 75/125/175/225/280
- Shield AP ratio increased from 0.6 to 0.8
- Mana cost reduced from 50/55/60/65/70 to 30/35/40/45/50
- Heal removed
- Targets hit are slowed by 30/35/40/45/50 for 2.5s
- Missile range increased 800->1000
- Missile width reduced 120->90
- Impale now roots targeted champion during the windup animation
- VO for “feel my sting” etc will happen on successful grab instead of cast start
- The attack speed buff was moved from W to Q to make Skarner more consistent and less feast or famine
- The slow was moved from Q to E to get rid of the frustrating perma slow of his old Q but also to allow him some more flexibility and ability to make catches/plays with the ranged slow on E
- W speed values are buffed to bring him in line with other similar bruisers
- R now has a more consistent ability to grab targets once he has started casting on them
- These changes are still not final, and I want everyone to play the new kit and give us feedback.
He also noted:
"I see a few comments about the Q attack speed being very low. This may actually be the case, but as far as our testing goes (and just some theorycrafting math) he has way more uptime on the 8-24% attack speed than he had for the old 50% attack speed that was reliant on the shield. Overall he gets in more autos per fight leading to more cooldown reduction from the passive.
Also, there were a few big gains for him from removing the heal from the E. We were able to lower the mana cost and add higher base and higher AP ratios to the W shield. Let me know if you are having a hard time surviving in the jungle, because I was clearing it with nearly no damage taken.
Once the PBE is updated we will get a ton of good info when we all start playing him."
Just like the Heimer and Xerath reworks, I'll be updating this thread with any additional red posts should they pop up.